The new year is rapidly approaching – are you ready for 2017? I am always excited to welcome a new year, and this year is no different. I think a lot of us are ready to wrap up 2016. I want to take this time, though, to reflect on the good things that have happened in my own life since January!
- I got to travel. I have persistent wanderlust; traveling is my favorite activity! There are still a ton of places on my bucket list, but I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to visit and explore new places (and some familiar ones) this year. New places I visited include Turks and Caicos, the Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba, Panama City Beach, Clearwater, Jacksonville, Hawaii, San Francisco, and Napa. I also got to visit some of my homes away from home: Philadelphia, Annapolis, Atlanta, and Walt Disney World. I even got to see two national parks during the National Park Service’s centennial – Alcatraz island in California and Pearl Harbor in Hawaii! I’m hoping 2017 is full of many new travel opportunities!
- I voted. I’m not proud of the fact that I haven’t voted prior to this election – in the past, I’ve missed deadlines or didn’t feel informed enough to vote. This year’s tumultuous election was different. I registered on time, knew my voting location, and had all of the facts. Regardless of your political affiliation, I think it is safe to say that it’s such a relief this election is finally over. I’m proud to have done my part and voted!
- I made an important, life-changing trip. I won’t go into too much detail because this is a somewhat personal topic, but I made the decision earlier this year to make the biggest step towards healing from a major life event. I’m so happy that I did it and look forward to making further progress.
- I read – a lot! Reading is a hobby of mine, but in the last few years, I felt disappointed that I hadn’t been spending a lot of time doing it. I set a goal for myself this year: read 30 books. I’m nearly there, with about 28 books under my belt this year.
- Animals! This is random, so bear (no pun intended) with me: I got to meet animals this year. I didn’t grow up with pets, so “meeting” an animal allows me to vicariously have pets of my own. I met friends’ and strangers’ dogs and got to hang out with a really cool bird. I even went to the Florida State Fair!
- This blog. I don’t write as often as other bloggers, but I love having the chance to occasionally write entries and share them. Writing is something I enjoy, but when I’m doing it at my leisure, it never feels like homework. Thank you for all of your support!
Now may be a great time to reflect on your own year – surely it had its ups and downs, but during this festive season, why not take a moment to focus on all of the great things you were a part of, the things you achieved, the goals you accomplished, the friends you made, etc.? I hope 2017 is your best year yet!